Ready to become a driving instructor? Driving schools are hiring! Below is a sample job posting, do you have what it takes?
This job posting is in Folsom, California, which is on the outskirts of the State capital in Sacramento. Read here for more information on driving instructor training in California. Craigslist and your local classifieds are great places to look for local teaching openings
Driving Instructor – Part Time + – Have Fun + Make a Difference In Your Job.
Compensation: $11-$15 per hour
This job is 20 hours a week or more:
Friday night, Saturday and Sunday shifts a must. More shifts possible as well. Full time opportunities may be available in June, July, and August. Part-time workers in good-standing with the company during the winter and spring months will have first rights to any full-time summer positions should they want them.
Driving Instructor Qualifications:
1. Do not apply unless you meet every one of these qualifications. No exceptions:
- You may not have any points against your drivers license for at least the past two years. You must never have been charged with Driving Under the Influence (DUI) or Driving While Intoxicated (DWI). No exceptions will be made.
- You must be on time and diligent, organized, and have very reliable transportation to the drivers ed office.
- Your must be likeable, friendly, and enjoy working in a team atmosphere
- You must have prior experience teaching and working with 14-19 year olds. This could include sports coaching, teaching, camp counseling etc etc.
- Basic computer skills including use of the Microsoft office suite (Word, Excel, and Photoshop) as well as the email client Outlook.
2. You must pass a criminal background check in California prior to being employed. This is true for all employees of the company.
3. You must provide phone numbers and email addresses for 2 to 3 professional (not personal) references. Please add these to your resume/application in response to this posting.
Driving Instructor Job Description:
The required weekly shifts, should you get the position, would be Fridays from12:00pm to 8:00pm and weekends from 8:00am to 4:00pm. You may need to stay past your shift for a few minutes for cleanup or debriefing if any special situations occur. We want people who will take ownership of and be proud of becoming a driving instructor, and act accordingly.
Office staff takes care of scheduling with students and parents, so you will not need to worry about it. Your primary responsibility would be teaching our teenage students defensive driving. Your secondary responsibility is cleanup and basic upkeep of the driver’s education vehicles. This includes keeping them fueled, their oil changed, and properly inspected.
We provide all vehicles used with students for insurance purposes. You cannot use your vehicle to instruct the students. We use older, but well running sedans.
Driving Instructor Training:
Full training necessary to become a driving instructor as defined by our Department of Motor Vehicles will be provided to you. You will observe our instructors in action with students, and then be observed by our trainers as part of the process. You will also be required to do a training course, at home, on the rules of the road, teaching techniques, and some car maintenance and first aid information. You will not need to be certified in CPR to pass training.
A DMV driving instructor’s license will be necessary before you can start teaching. Your training with us and study time at home will prepare you for the DMV examination.
Taking the test and getting your license will cost you (this is not reimbursed our company):
Please see the following link for the list of requirements to become a driving instructor in California
This job is with a company that has taught drivers education for over 20 years in the local area.
Driving instructors salary starts at $11.00 per hour. A reasonable amount of travel time will be compensated at $9.00. Additional pay raises are based off of performance in the driving instructor position and are fair. In office training is PAID at a rate of $9 per hour for the 30-hour driving instructor training.
To pass your DMV license exam, additional studying will be required at your home, but this is unpaid. You MUST pass the DMV license exam, as well as have a valid drivers license, to get a job as a driving instructor with our company.