Autotropolis has a new ranking of the safest cars of 2011. While other sites (including the ever popular Car and Driver list as well as one from Forbes which was recently reported on by ABC News) have their own lists, we like this one due to the holistic approach they take to safety. Autotropolis claims to not only look at ratings and advertised safety equipment and features, but also the things that really define safety for average joe’s driving everyday in the car.
- Ride height and visibility
- Seatbelt and airbag design and placement
- Child friendliness
- Low traction driving features, 4-wheel drive technology etc.
So, without further ado, here’s their Top 5 safest cars. Some of them you can even afford on your driver instructors salary!
- 2011 Volvo S80: The first generation was notable for being one of the first Volvos to depart from the company’s traditionally very boxy, conservative styling. The S80′s styling, with its pronounced beltlines and tail lights that narrow and go from curves to points as they go up, was later adopted throughout the Volvo line.
- 2011 Buick LaCrosse
- 2011 BMW 528 efinition of classic luxury sedan styling; supremely tuned drivetrain; impressive interior;derived from more expensive 7 Series.
- 2011 Ford Fiesta
- 2011 Mercedes-Benz C-Class
The 2011 Ford Fiesta gives economy car shoppers reason to celebrate with its fun-to-drive personality, nicely trimmed cabin, tight build quality and unexpected features.
Sporty driving dynamics, smooth and peppy engine, high fuel economy, welcoming cabin, available high-end luxury features.
Limited cargo and rear seat space, conventional navigation system unavailable.